What we thought would be a bear of a project turned out to be fun! We were going to leave this as the very last thing to do, but when some friends volunteered to helped, we jumped at the chance after E's bookcase.
Here's the before:
This piece was my grandparents. It's in really good shape--we were the ones to put all the scratches and scraps in it. My grandma told me they bought it at an estate sale in 1973 while they were living in Kansas. It was part of a multi-piece set and survived many moves. She grumpily gasped a little when I told her we were paining it yellow. The cherry finish is really nice, just not my style. She relaxed a bit when I said our new color scheme for the master is yellow and gray-- she had a lot of yellow in her house...classy lady, that one!!
And our after:
Easter weekend, W was able to get some friends over to help with the hardest part: sanding down the dark finish. What would have taken him several evening hours, ended after 3 hours. It's amazing how far a bribery of beer and fresh deli sandwiches can get ya!
The dresser: post-sanding
The guys were so quick that we had to call it a day because I hadn't even purchased the paint yet. So we had to let the dresser hang out in the garage. With our entire contents just hanging out in our room. Just lovely.
{This picture is giving my dad a heart-attack right about now.}
I'll spare you the pictures of what it all looked like post-vacation, a few weeks later. Not pretty. E started jumping on our piles like he does when I'm putting the laundry anyway. I knew it was time to get back to working on this sucker when we started collecting baskets of clean clothes on the floor too-- reminds me of my disastrous room in high school...eh. moving on...
After I finally committed to a color, it was back to the rollers again to prime.
I'll spare you the pictures of what it all looked like post-vacation, a few weeks later. Not pretty. E started jumping on our piles like he does when I'm putting the laundry anyway. I knew it was time to get back to working on this sucker when we started collecting baskets of clean clothes on the floor too-- reminds me of my disastrous room in high school...eh. moving on...
After I finally committed to a color, it was back to the rollers again to prime.
Some light sanding and two coats of Behr's Citrus Zest later and we were in dresser business!!
After doing a bit of knob hunting, I realized that I didn't want to pay $5-10 dollars for just one knob when we needed 8. So with a bit of high-gloss white spray paint, we got some updated knob-age. This was my first time using spray paint and let me tell you, I'm hooked. Not so much on the fumes, but on the instant updated look! They were brass before, but looked porcelain/ceramic after a coat of white. Here was my take...
Then W stepped in with this contraption he made...
Seriously, this guy is the quintessential problem solver! Love him!
Well, she's a real beaut in her home. And will be a dandy, {temporary} changing table in a few months when Boy hangs out in our room before moving to his own. Thank goodness for protective coating and chux pads!
Break Down:
Roller, Tray & Brush Set: $11
Quart of paint: $12
Polyurethane Protective Coat: $14
White spray paint: $3
Sandwiches & Beer: $15
Total: $55...but $30 for us with a gift card!
Think Grandma will approve?!?
Then W stepped in with this contraption he made...
Seriously, this guy is the quintessential problem solver! Love him!
Well, she's a real beaut in her home. And will be a dandy, {temporary} changing table in a few months when Boy hangs out in our room before moving to his own. Thank goodness for protective coating and chux pads!
Break Down:
Roller, Tray & Brush Set: $11
Quart of paint: $12
Polyurethane Protective Coat: $14
White spray paint: $3
Sandwiches & Beer: $15
Total: $55...but $30 for us with a gift card!
Think Grandma will approve?!?
11 comments:
Jessica, y'all did a GREAT job on that dresser! I'm glad you went with the bold yellow. It looks like it was meant to be. :) Way to save those old knobs with spray paint too!!
looks GORGEOUS!! i absolutely love it!! and there are so many colored accent pieces that would look fab on top. im thinkin' teal would be a really pretty contrast!
i would be all over that if i was single. you are one lucky gal that wills is cool with a yellow and white dresser. the most i could get matt to do was yellow on the walls and even that was like pulling teeth.
Jess it looks great!!! Nice work!!!
It looks so good and personally, I think the yellow looks even better in person. : )
I love how crafty you and W are together.
Looks great girl! You and W are on a roll!
she will love it, because you guys {once again} did an amazing job!!!! I love it. Come to my house please and motivate me.
awesome and so cheap!!! I love the contraption you guys made for the knobs! must have made it SO much easier!
I approve. Nice job.
I LOVE it. I found a dresser at the Goodwill, didn't get it because I knew it would be hard work, but now that I see your lovely pics I want to go back and buy it ;)
Blessings,
LaVonne @ Long Wait For Isabella
Love the color it turned out beautiful..
I'm getting ready to paint a chest of drawers yellow. Love how your dresser turned out. Pretty yellows are hard to pick out and I love your shade.
Post a Comment