When he wasn't responding, I stood up & starting looking around frantically for help. People were standing up & singing so I couldn't really point out who I should get to help us. Thankfully, someone saw me & within seconds a friend, who is a firefighter, was crouched next to William (we were along the aisle way in the back), asking what had happened. I had no clue. He quickly picked up William while two other guys (who happen to be EMTs) joined in to help. And I just broke down, doubled over, and started balling--kudos to my already hormone-charged self. Our friend, Megan, who was sitting next to me, grabbed me & walked me out to where the guys took W. I just couldn't stop crying. I was so petrified.
W was laying on a sofa in the entry way & had regained consciousness while being carried out of the sanctuary. Paramedics arrived really quickly, started taking his stats and getting him into the ambulance. Megan drove a very frenzied and fragile me to the hospital to meet up with him and my parents joined us there. We spent 5 hours in the E.R. where they loaded W with IV liquid. All the symptoms pointed to dehydration and after almost 3000 mL of IV, W was feeling much better with re-gained face color & all the talkativeness that goes with it!
We're both feeling better and recovering well. W was back at school today, although he didn't bike. :) I spent most of last night, waking up just to make sure he was still breathing. Silly, I know. But just thinking about the potential of losing my husband can still create buckets of tears. (No more tear-jerker books either for book club while I'm still prego!)
(Loads of fun pealing all of these off when your hubby is hairy!! :))
It was definitely a terrifying event, mostly for me and I try to get those early moments of trying to wake him up & looking for help out of my brain. Weird, how such strong images can burn into our memories. I'm also eternally grateful for those guys who jumped up to help us within seconds. God is gracious and we are fragile. One moment things are fine, the next they are not. I'm just so not a good person in these types of situations. I feel like I'm over-affected and overly emotional. I'm not good at keeping my cool. I'm totally going to be that "Debbie-downer" mother who "suppresses all the fun" because she worries too much. Gosh, I really thought I'd *never ever* be that girl when I was a teen. Amazing what marriage and pregnancy can do to a once irresponsible teenage girl. Now I have too many invaluable things in my life... too much to lose. I'm truly NOT in control. This simple fact scares me. Yet humbles me.
9 comments:
I'm assuming the Megan was Megan C? Anyways, that's so scary. I"m glad you had someone to help you out. And yes, I will be that mom too, someday. But just remember God is in control and He is holding you both in the palm of your hand. Love you girl
Yes you are right. Megan C. I was very glad to have had her right there!
i am so sorry you had to go through that! im glad it all turned out ok though and that will is healthy!
how long did the guy go without drinking to get that dehydrated?!
i am soooo that mom. no worries. ;)
I'm glad he is doing better! No wonder you made such a delicious breakfast yesterday morning :)
The night before was wine & the hot tub...morning was two cups of coffee. Guess there wasn't enough water for those things. My mom said that the hot tub is dangerous with alcohol because it sucks the water out of you without you noticing. Apparently this happened to her, but in Mexico! Yikes!
yeah, your mom is absolutely right. ive heard of that quite a bit, and from a personal standpoint, i notice whenever i drink and go in a hot tub i am SUPER thirsty for a good 12 hours after. SO GLAD he is being better.
i meant FEELING better. its been a long day. lol.
So scary!! glad everything is ok!
Oh my goodness Jess!! I'm so glad he's okay! How scary!! (((hugs))) to you both!
Post a Comment