Pregnancy--- can totally do it
Birth-- sure, it's hard work, but I can do that too
Recovery-- I'd rather poke my eyes out and walk across burning coals
I've never been a good rester or recover-er. Just ask my mom and she'll bust out with, "You're just like your father!" It is so hard to just rest and do nothing. I just long for normalcy again and I miss my guys.
I have tried really hard this time around to truly rest and recover from birth. I think I'm doing fairly well. But after two kids, I'm realizing that nursing does not come naturally for me, or at least it's been a battle to establish while in recovery. Granted, with E, I took me a good month and a half of stressful labor and dedication to make nursing easy. This time around it was only a week--but it stilled seemed like eternity! Eternity in the breastfeeding trench: mastitis {again}, fever between 103 and 104, low supply, blood blisters, cracks, tears, scabs, soreness, sharp pain...well, you get the point.
Enter God's grace: La Leche League
We had a leader come to our house. She spent 2 hours with me just working on our latch. I also went to a drop in session and a local meeting; all in an effort to get a good solid, pain-free latch. And I'm happy to report that we got a good latch, I'm not skittish about each feeding and the pain I'll be in, and what once took a good hour to get a full feeding in, is starting to take 40 minutes or less. And I've learned so much about breastfeeding in the process; much of what I'd heard before, just needed the reminder.
Guess something along the whole baby-making process had to take work and sacrifice to make it happen.
Everything else about recovery has been going super well. I don't feel exhausted, just tired. I try to nap everyday while W is still home and make short trips outdoors. Today, we took our walk to the library.
So, we're all still here! Just needed some extra time to rest, recover, and get that nursing going strong! Part two of Theo's birth is coming soon, I promise!
3 comments:
glad to hear the evil Mastitis has gone bye-bye. I have heard horrible things about that. Sounds SO painful!
Nursing is so different with each child, you're right.
I had a heck of time with Ethan, did better with Rachel and had an amazingly fabulous time with Kara.
I think I get better and more relaxed each time too :)
Enjoy the time with W home. What a blessing.
Jason has never been able to stay home more than 24-48 hours after our kid's births. I'm anxious with our next baby, with him working at Amazon, he gets up to 2 weeks of time off! I can't imagine what that will feel like :)
oh girlfriend. i am SO sorry. i can't relate to the mastitis, but i can certainly relate to the low supply, soreness and cracks. both boys latched from the get go and i never had a problem with actually establishing *nursing*, but it was my *body* that had the issue. it not only hurt like heck but as you know, huge supply issues.
i completely commend you for sticking it out. honestly, if i went through HALF of what you have gone through, i probably would have just quit. you are a strong girl.
i agree about la leche...they helped me a great deal as well. also, have you heard of kellymom.com? that helped me a lot too.
im glad to hear things are slowly getting better and easier. hang in there. the beginning is so rough.
xo.
Sorry to hear nursing was so rough for you in the beginning again but I can't tell you how happy I am for you {and Theo} that things are looking up..
La Leche League is incredible. I'm glad you were able to get the support, and help, that you needed.
Breastfeeding is definitely not easy work, but the bonding and health benefits {for you and the baby} make it worth the fight. Given all your challenges, I could understand giving up...
So happy for you that you're getting past the hard stuff and that you're able to continue.
I know how important it is to you.
I loved having Timmy here to help after Trey was born... I'm really going to miss having him here to help this time around.
You are all so blessed to be able to share in the early bonding and adjustment to your growing family together. I bet W is just loving all the family time. : )
Sounds like you are doing as well as can be expected. We are definitely excited for your 'normal' life to resume. Selfishly, we miss our weekly play dates. ; )
<3
Post a Comment