Tuesday, May 10

Current Dinner Conversations

...E's first hair cut...

We all know that E is totally sportin' the baby mullet. There is just no denying that he's got some major party action in the back.

W is all for getting his first big boy hair cut AFTER October. He is convinced that E should be McGyver for Halloween.
I *think* I'm ready for a hair cut now. Half of me really wants to see what he'll look like all cleaned up..at least a trim. The other half of me loves the long, surfer look and doesn't want to face a more 'grown-up' look. 

...Our next car purchase...

We dropped of my car at the dealership for a once over before leaving for vacation. While there, we popped over to the showroom to check out the VW Routon, their version of a mini-van. We were impressed and hopeful that this could be the next purchase after saving up for the 'affordable' price tag.
Unfortunately, after mom's Consumer Reports investigation, we discovered that its prone to break-downs and is actually a Chrysler's body base. Yuck. No, thanks! So we're back to square one. I don't want an SUV or a popular mini-van. We have been oohing over the Pilot but actually seeing the inside of a mini-van, made it much more appealing to a mom with future kids in mind. Sigh. So we may end up with a Sienna or Odyssey...just like everybody else. Either way, we best get to saving!

...5 weeks of vacation...

Part of W's up-coming job will include very long hours during the work week. A bonus to this will be the 5 weeks of vacation time he'll be awarded during the first year. Recently, we've been swooning over the idea of finally making it to Hawaii. We've tried a few times to make it there on the cheap, but it never came together. W has never been and it's been yeaaars since I've been back. Kaui was our go-to island growing up, but I feel like we should start with O'ahu with Pearl Harbor and all its history. W is a huge history nerd buff.
Anyway, it's on our  'to-do' wishlist for the up-coming year. I do cringe when thinking about buying three tickets, but I figure we'll need it after having to adjust to two kids and another job with the potential of a commute.

Travel is such a bug, huh?! You come back and you're already brainstorming future trips.

...W's Men's Group Study...

It's been delightfully fun to see God providing opportunities to help meet our New Year's goals. One of W's was to start a parenting book together. God answered that by putting W as a co-leader for an early morning men's group. They are going through a parenting book that we had heard of before from various families at church and are excited to read along together as the group does.

It seems to be targeted toward 'older' kids but so far lays a great foundation for practical application. It's goal "is to build family relationships while helping kids learn better ways of responding to life's situations." From what we've been told, it's a great practical companion to another fabulous parenting book that we've read.

8 comments:

Tara said...

sigh. would love to make it back to hawaii. havent been since the first year we were married. :( and my parents have a place there, so we have a free place to stay! its just that nasty airfare that kills us!

we were just looking at the pilot too! def eager to get into a bigger, more family friendly car.

w's group sounds awesome! we just joined a married couple's bible study at church. wednesday nights. im really looking forward to see what it provides for us. its married with kids, so everyone is in the same boat. im excited :)

Tara said...

p.s. any ideas for the first haircut? we did brady's first at that kid place in downtown livermore. i highly recommend them! the kids get to sit in a little car, watch a show or a movie and the WHOLE place is so kid friendly. the stylists are awesome!! its 10 bucks (if i remember correctly) and you get a little certificate and a lock of hair and everything. super fun. :)

i have been cutting brady's hair myself, ever since. but i wanted a fun experience for the "first haircut". :)

Stefany said...

The first cut debate. I know that one all too well. Timmy and I went back and forth on Alyssa for almost a year. Looking back I wish we had done it sooner. : /
Trey's is growing in so fast if I did it differently I would have buzzed him at 6 months!

I'm with you on the vacation bug. Pre kids Timmy and I did a lot of traveling. We would have the next trip planned on the flight or drive back home! lol. We love going to new places!

W and J said...

tara- we haven't thought about who/where to cut his hair yet, but I'm loving only $10 for all that!! we'll be cutting it afterward too, but the first one makes for a perfect 'fun' experience!!!

Stef said...

We drive the Hyundai Entourage and for being a not-so-popular van, we love it! It has all the bells and whistles as the more popular, very expensive vans, but its half the cost and has an even better warranty. Down side is, those more popular vans probably last longer and have better resale value :)
We went with this one because it has the leather seats, sun roof, automatic doors, etc... costs us less than $25,000 brand new and we knew we'd need something bigger than Pilot before too long :)

Ezra is cute, hair cut or not... but I would NOT be able to wait until October! You're brave :)

W and J said...

Stef- that's one of the biggest things we liked about the Routon-- cheaper but still had all the bells & whistles. We'll have to check out the Hyundai! :)

And with the E's hair:it's that W is so resistant getting it cut now. I'd be in the shop tomorrow if I could. ;)

Edie said...

bad news....the Entourage, although well reviewed, is no longer available. Hyundai has replaced it with the Sedona...good price, not so good reliability. But I'm not sure that's still available. The minivan just isn't that popular compared with the crossover SUV. Keep looking....

Tiffany said...

Remember Tatum's mullet???? She put MacGyver to shame!

I could never bring myself to get a mini van. when you see inside you totally swoon as a mom, but I feel like I'll be letting go of my last bit of youth, LOL;)

I'm a *war* history nerd myself! Love WWII in particular. so I would DIEEEEEE to see that! *sigh* alas I do not get on planes:( Take lots of pics for me!!!!