Monday, January 31

Muir Woods

This past weekend was our last with Flat Stanley. I've been working on a hardback photo book of all Stanley's adventures {since Shutterfly so kindly offered me a free one.} But I still needed a few more pictures to finish off the book before finally sending it back to Indiana. W has been aching to go hiking for awhile now and we've both been talking about Muir Woods since we moved up here. 

So, we were up by 7:30; out the door with a good breakfast in our tummies, lunches packed, and on our way to coffee by 9am. Very rare for us on a Saturday morning! But it was so worth it. Little traffic and the mist only turned to a light rain when we were leaving the park...but it was so refreshing! 


I wanted to share some of my favorite things from the day. The first: At the start of our hike, we saw some saplings. I loved it. This will eventually become a Giant Sequoia. Something so small will become something so grand and enormous. Unbelievable potential. 
Reminds me that my thinking and perspective are so limited compared to God's.  And that eternal perspective is what encourages me when I can only see the sapling in a situation, but God knows all about that Giant Sequoia in the future. Just thought it was a sweet analogy...

Stanley learned about tree rings. 
 The second: this tree had beautiful fern plants growing up the trunk and every branch. It was gorgeous to see in person with the sunlight making the ferns look glowing green.
Giant redwoods

We took the Fern Creek trail and the longest loop on the boardwalks. So we hiked about 3.6 miles total. Did I mention the ferns were beautiful?! All the greenery and giant trees were breath-taking.
The third: the creek that we hiked along. Perfect white noise. It was so peaceful.
 Lastly: the cool bridges we had to cross while on our adventure... 
And the few obstacles we faced along the way.
So wonderful to be outdoors! Even if I am still so out of shape!

7 comments:

Megan said...

Love the new blog font! So fun! And have you guys ever watched Planet Earth? You MUST watch the BBC version. I know you two would love it. They do a segment on Seasonal Forests that features the Sequoias. Pretty cool. Next time I visit, remind me to bring it for a craft date!

ashlynjustin said...

So fun we have been dying to get there when we were up there but didnt get the time... What a lovely family you guys are!!

Unknown said...

what *is* that backpack thing Ezra's in?! It's crazy! haha. I think it's the type our parents had when we were kids.

looks like you had a fun time. :)

Tara said...

LOVE muir woods! did you let ezra get down and walk at all? brady LOVED roaming all around and gettin' into all the dirt and bugs and stuff. such a boy! :)

Stef said...

nice! we went there years ago and I remember loving that park. This must have been the day I called you to chat - which was completely fun, btw :)

Stefany said...

Looks like a fantastic day! : )

Tiffany said...

I'm gonna miss flat Stanley...