I'm currently reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith. I'd heard of the book before, but I didn't know it was a classic until I picked it up at the library last week. And I love classical literature...and have loved fantasy the most since I was a child. Can I get a Labyrinth shout-out...anyone? Anyone?
Classics remind me of a friend I had when I was getting my teaching credential. Justin was my thinker and reader theologian friend whom I would seek out for answers, both trivial and deep. Considering he was pursuing his second masters in philosophy, I figured he was a pretty apt guy and his wisdom proved true time and time again. He inspired me to start reading Classical fairy tales. Not the Disney version, but the actual novels dating back to the 1800-1900s. Some of the real stories are quite different than their film portrayals. In the book's end, the little mermaid actually dies in a sacrificial act of love.
So far I've only read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass both by Lewis Carroll. And Pinocchio written by Carlo Collodi, where my one of my favorite quotes comes from:
"Of all the trades in the world, there is only one which really attracts me...to eat, drink, sleep and amuse myself, and to lead a vagabond life from morning to night."
I believe this is said before he gets into a whole lick of trouble and completely regrets his poor choices. {how appealing sin is!} Not only are these tales chalk-full of fantastic imaginary and good writing, they present really good Biblical and life themes at the level kids understand. Perhaps even opening a door for discussion and real-life connections.
"Remember when you hit your sister and lied about it? That reminds me of Pinocchio and his decisions that made his life so hard and unhappy! Or remember how badly he wanted to be a boy? Gosh, he believed and never gave up. What persistence he had! And even when he made poor decisions, he still sought forgiveness and received his strongest desire! It's never too late!" The books also don't sugar coat or exclude 'tough stuff'. I mean if you really think about it: Hansel and Gretel were both abandoned by their parents in the forest where they met a cannibalistic witch. Yikes!
"Remember when you hit your sister and lied about it? That reminds me of Pinocchio and his decisions that made his life so hard and unhappy! Or remember how badly he wanted to be a boy? Gosh, he believed and never gave up. What persistence he had! And even when he made poor decisions, he still sought forgiveness and received his strongest desire! It's never too late!" The books also don't sugar coat or exclude 'tough stuff'. I mean if you really think about it: Hansel and Gretel were both abandoned by their parents in the forest where they met a cannibalistic witch. Yikes!
I'm hoping to pick up where I left off, which was Peter Pan. I don't plan on completing this whole list but will probably stick with the ones I've already heard of. Meaning, grew up knowing the Disney version. I know W is already planning on making his favorite classical series a staple in E's read-alouds. We hope to slip more classics in through the school years in addition to whatever else he likes to read.Touch-y Feel-y books are Ezra's current favorite and his job is to turn the pages. He loves when we read to him now, if he's not too tired. Although, he's making out to be more of a physical being on the go than a sitter and thinker at the moment. ;)
But I didn't really like reading all that much at the start, much to my read-o-lic mother's dismay. The Wayside School Series is what perked my interest and R.L. Stine kept the flame going. I tell my tutor and classroom parents that reading is reading, no matter what form it comes in. That Diary of A Wimpy Kid reader could turn into an Animal Farm advocate against socialism and a dystopian world. You just never know.
So yes, our children will still be belting out, "Oh, look at this stuff. Isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?" throughout our house. But books are magical things, far more powerful for little imaginations!
8 comments:
I love the real stories of the disney movies! Love Hans Christian Anderson (sp?)! When I was little my parents actually found the real little mermaid in a cartoon form, so I actually did know, even, as a kid, that ariel died...... and I wasn't traumatized. Although when I think about it now, it was kinda messed up that they made it into a cartoon for kids, LOL, but I didn't care back then.
I have never read Labyrinth, but it was of my favorite movies as a kid...... I should read that one:)
I was like you, I didn't start reading till after Tatum was born, and now I think all the time 'I could have read SO much with all that time I had' LOL!
i haven't read the labyrinth either, but I loooooved that movie. I mean, who doesn't like seeing David Bowe in spandex!? ;) Such great fantasy though!
And that's so cool that your parents had you read some classics!! I love that!
Oh, I totally thought about you over the weekend. A mom of a high schooler I tutor bought him a whole bunch of books...including S.Collins "Hunting Game". The funny thing is the 10th grader will probably enjoy it: he watches the bachelorette with his mom & is that "big teddy bear" type! Haha. I was thinking perhaps I can borrow it from him when he's done. LOL!
love love love fairy tales!
just wish i loved to read. i really, really wish i did. :(
fortunately, i think brady inherited the oliver's love of reading. those people read 2-3 books a week and enjoy every minute. brady would rather read all.day.long. than play with any toy. he is OBSESSED with reading and books. i really, really hope it sticks!!!
How funny! You totally should borrow it from him! I still have to go get it too. I haven't finished water for elephants yet though...
Tatum too, LOVES to read. Thank goodness she doesn't take after me either.... the first book I read and enjoyed was like a year ago. I wish I had found my love for reading sooner.... it would've made those long months in the hospital during her pregnancy a lot more fun;)
I'm currently reading Sideways Stories from Wayside School to my class - they (well really WE) LOVE it!
Have you read "The Wednesday Letters"? It's a great love story that is a page-turner. Not typically the type of book I read but I read it a few years ago and have since shared it with a lot of people and we all loved it. I think it's right up your alley, Jess. (I'd be surprised if you haven't already heard of it or read it, but just in case thought I'd let you know!)
Oooh, I haven't heard of that book before, Em. But that sounds intriguing!! I'm gonna pick it up!
Post a Comment