Monday, August 3

Diapers

Cloth vs. disposable?!? I can honestly say, I had NO CLUE that there were so many different issues surrounding child-bearing & child-raising with different sides--co-sleeping vs. own room; find out gender vs. not; bumper vs. no bumper; side sleeping vs. back; on-demand feeding vs. scheduled; this product vs. that one!! The list goes on! Having to navigate through them all & figure out what we want to do as a family sure is tough. It's enough to make a mom want to live in a Amish village without modern choices!! ;) But typically I like to refuse the popular/most used choice as the best or only option so it's off to research & evaluate or bust!

But thanks to my parents, I really enjoy the research part & don't mind spending energy until I find our answer and what I think will work for us. So after figuring out our next year budget plan, prenatal plan, birth plan, and some of our baby supply plan, I have embarked on a new plan: diapers! I found a cool resource that really helped an ignorant mother-to-be (me) by providing the information is an easy to understand format & with pictures! :) This bump article had a comment that included this wonderful blog called Simple Mom (oh, I like that name!) with a series of articles on the subject! I'm still doing my homework so no conclusive data to report yet! But I'm starting to at least comprehend the mystery that is the cloth diaper option!

5 comments:

Tara said...

a piece of un-solicited mom advice...dont over think things too much. it will do nothing but stress you out and overwhelm you. just go with your gut and whatever works the best and the easiest for you and your family. having a baby is hard work and whatever works for you and making your life easiest, go for it. who cares what the latest trend is or what everyone else is doing. you need to find what works for YOU (which it seem slike you are doing just fine). just dont over think it. i did that in the beginning and all it did was cause me to become even more overwhelmed and stressed. :)

W and J said...

You are too cute & SO right! :) I've definitely noticed on somethings that I don't seem to care to research or look into. Not worth it!! I think after the initial panic about discovering my first child issue with so many times, I've calmed down now & am just working through some areas like safety, budget-savers and personal preference! Plus we just don't have room or $ to do anything over the top! ;) I'm sure after 2 or 3 more kids, we'll totally like, "Who cares if it's pink, our boy won't know! It still works!"

Stef said...

I loved the Oliver Family's advice :)
She's so right - do what's best for YOU guys and your baby and don't worry about what's the most popular, most accepted, or the one all your friends are telling you, you have to have. Its all gonna come down to, how your baby does with it, how you guys do with it and how it fits in your budget.
There are SO many options out there. My Mom is always saying she misses the days before there was anything BUT cloth diapers! :)
Its become quite popular to go the all green, all natural way, but you never know what will work best for you guys.
Also, don't let anyone fool you into thinking that the main stream stuff is the best. There is nothing wrong with spending a little more to have a slightly healthier environment for your new little one. I typically spend a few extra dollars during our kid's 1st year of life and I buy the special laundry detergent for all their stuff, just to keep certain toxins and chemicals away from them as much as possible.
Its not long before they're big, rough and tough kids and you won't have to worry so much... but you'll miss it :)
Good luck with the research - that's the part that matters... do your research!

Heather @ Glitter and Gloss said...

Tara took the words right out of my mouth! do what feels right for you, and DON'T STRESS!

jillyco said...

I agree Jess...you have to do what is right for you and your family. And it's okay if you change your mind mid-stream too! What you think will work now, may NOT work once baby is with you. A lot of trial and error goes into raising kids!

In my experience...don't compare yourself to your friends who have kids of the same ages. What they are doing with their baby may not work for you.

Hugs! :)