It's a new year. And with that comes the customary reflections, making goals,and hoping for potential changes, etc. W and I made resolutions last year that we still need to finish reflecting on. I know, I know, many people scoff at resolutions. Maybe you're one of them. But when I make mine, I don't expect to do them all for the entire year. No way. I might not even do one. It's just good to reflect and make decisions about what you'd like to work on. With God's help, that slow progress can happen.
I have yet to really sit down and figure out some goals for this year. But I was pleasantly surprised when W pushed a small piece of paper across the breakfast table last week with his goals. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a man who thinks about the direction we're heading in. :)
With that preface in mind, here's one area we've recently talked over...
{E circa 01/11}
Ezra loves helping me or W around the house. He pretty much pushes himself into any activity I'm working on. Be it the dishwasher-- he leaps in and starts handing me the utensils, plates, and anything else on the bottom shelf. Be it the laundry-- he wants to help me move the clothes to the dryer. Or be the one to put Papa's socks in the drawer. I think we were on to something when we named him "God's help". Perhaps our next child's name will mean "Completely obedient the very first time, always listens to instruction, and never whines." Wouldn't that be nice?
I have yet to really sit down and figure out some goals for this year. But I was pleasantly surprised when W pushed a small piece of paper across the breakfast table last week with his goals. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a man who thinks about the direction we're heading in. :)
With that preface in mind, here's one area we've recently talked over...
{E circa 01/11}
Ezra loves helping me or W around the house. He pretty much pushes himself into any activity I'm working on. Be it the dishwasher-- he leaps in and starts handing me the utensils, plates, and anything else on the bottom shelf. Be it the laundry-- he wants to help me move the clothes to the dryer. Or be the one to put Papa's socks in the drawer. I think we were on to something when we named him "God's help". Perhaps our next child's name will mean "Completely obedient the very first time, always listens to instruction, and never whines." Wouldn't that be nice?
So over time, E has a few certain activities that he helps out with and has even almost taken over completely {like feeding the pups and putting his dirty clothes in the hamper}. We've been going back and forth over starting a picture chore chart or should I say, something concrete that clearly lays out our expectations for his weekly responsibilities. I already like the habit we have of including him in our activities and that he thoroughly enjoys helping us. It's a wonderful start to the training/teaching processes. I'm just wondering if we're ready to take the next step without overwhelming him.
Here's some of what Ezra likes to do:
-help makes bed morning and after nap
-put pjs in hamper
-set the table for meal times {all but breakable plates/cups}
-help clean up his face, hands, and table area
-help unload dishwasher
-help put toys away
-feed the pups
-put shoes/jacket away once inside
-pick out pjs and clean diaper before bath
-put day's clothes in hamper
I found in searching that I'm not the first one to wonder or even implement toddler chores. I found several free printables but none that struck my fancy. But it's so nice not having to re-invent the wheel! :) I found these posts particularly helpful: here, here, and here.
Our conclusion: I think for now we're just going to focus on consistency and rhythm. Trying to do the same 'chores' around the same time of day with Ezra. He's very quick to turn something into a habit so hopefully as we continue to have him do these things, we can slowly release him to do them on his own. In a few years, we'll add a bit more structure to this whole thing and probably an allowance as well. One post talked about how her kids have some required chores {you're are a part of the family} and some extra chores that can get paid out {learning the concept of earning and budgeting}. We really liked the dual-chore idea.
Our ultimate goal for now is that he can anticipate the next activity simply based on our consistency. But I wonder if that means I also need to be consistent in my chores. He has yet to ask why our bed isn't always made. We'll see how that goes... ;)
Our ultimate goal for now is that he can anticipate the next activity simply based on our consistency. But I wonder if that means I also need to be consistent in my chores. He has yet to ask why our bed isn't always made. We'll see how that goes... ;)
1 comment:
you go girl. we havent yet braved the whole "chore" thing with brady yet and he is almost 3. he does pick up after himself, clean up his messes, put his toys away, etc.
maybe i should think about the chore chart. he is certainly smart enough to grasp the concept. i mean if he understands "smile for the camera and ill give you a treat" he will certainly understand "clean up your toys and you will get a sticker" hahaha
Post a Comment