Tuesday, July 5

A Taste of Smokey City's History

So I've been on the fence about whether I like this city or not. It used to be called the Smokey City because it was grossly polluted by the steel mills and coal mines. Apparently, the buildings were just covered in soot and there were serious health issues for anyone who lived here. Now, steel is no longer made here and they’ve cleaned up much of the building faces. But it definitely still has a dirty ol’ feel to it. W says I’m just a girl who likes her aesthetics. And I think he’s right. Seattle, Milwaukee, and Chicago are all clean, have beautiful buildings, and have lots of greenery and flowers scattered throughout the downtown areas. This place, not so much. Or at least what little I've seen.

BUT I will say that I love all the random history I’ve learned about Pittsburgh—W isn’t the only history nerd in this family. And random history it is! I learned a ton when we went to the Heinz History Center on day two. Pittsburgh definitely takes pride in all its accomplishments and accolades. It was the birthplace for…

Mister Roger’s Neighborhood--yup, that homemade-knit-sweater wearing guy of the early 70s.

The invention of the Big Mac

Andy Worhol, the pop culture artist

Rachel Carson—the first notable environmentalist who did a lot to clean up this city

The great Lewis and Clark Expedition…seriously, they started from Pittsburgh.

Andrew Carnegie’s great success as a steelmaker and contributor to the city’s cultural development

The Polio Vaccine
And Rosie the Riveter 

Okay, so probably more than you EVER wanted to know about Pittsburgh, but I was quite impressed by its resume. We then headed to the Strip to grab a bite to eat and check out the bizarre. Like the Alter Bar which is located in a church…

And The Wholely Market—full of chaos and weird smells.

We grabbed some yummy pizza at a hole in the wall place before heading back home for the day. That evening, W’s sister Dof and Ashaya flew in. Just in time for the Cromie Reunion!

2 comments:

Stef said...

hahaha! I had a hard time reading past the pollution and big macs ;-)

Looks like you're having fun though!

Stefany said...

The history is definitely interesting...
I agree though, I'm definitely more into aesthetic than I would like to admit. ; )

It's always fun to see new places... Happy to hear you guys are having a good time.