This weekend we got the privilege to celebrate Wes and Diane Wolford's 50th Wedding Anniversary. This couple has been pretty pivotal in my up bringing: they've known me since I was six and Diane has been an amazing mentor to my mom. In fact, the Wolfords are who God used to bring my mom and I to church way back when and as a result, to having a personal relationship with Jesus. Pretty cool, huh? So our current Swenson legacy-building is directly tied to the legacy that the Wolfords have created these past 50 years.
It was our *very* first time we needed to get a 'real' babysitter for E because my parents also attended the celebration. We've have a friend come over a few times before but it was always after E was asleep for the night. So, it was the first time he got to play, be fed, and be put down for nap by someone other than family-- and thankfully, it all went off without a hitch.
It was such a joy to celebrate these two love birds with close friends and
their family. Their two children, Eric and Allison, 'MC'd an amazing
program that was hosted at Wente Vineyards {the place W proposed to me almost 4 years ago!}.
Some of our 'young and fun' table with my mom and Daniel {Allison's husband}. The others are Wes and Diane's niece, nephews and their families.
Throughout the afternoon, there was musical entertainment and the retelling of the last 50 years. That meant Wes and Diane's children and grandchildren retold their love story from the day they met until today. It was hilarious, tear-jerking, and beautiful. Threaded throughout the story, different people came up to share special stories about this special couple. Mom was one such person and she did wonderfully! Actually, phenomenally considering how much she loathes public speaking. ;)
Such a blessing to see how two people have been so faithful for 50 years.
Faithful to their marriage.
Faithful to each other.
Faithful to their God.
Faithful to their kids, grandkids and extended family.
Faithful to their friends.
It was truly beautiful and inspiring.
The union of two people becomes a union of many, many people. This one marriage has impacted and affected many others in a positive, life-giving way. They are fantastic role models that we are blessed to have!
The two love birds.
Reaching 50 years with W is most definitely on our 'bucket list'. Sometimes, I think we should just walk around in bubble wrap to ensure that it'll happen. I pray that God allows us both to be on this earth to celebrate our Golden Anniversary. Because death will be the only thing that separate us-- we may still be in our honeymoon phase, but I'm absolutely certain of that. Only 46.5 years left until we can celebrate...me with my orthopedic shoes and W with his unsightly nose and ear hair.
7 comments:
What a beautiful post and a beautiful day!! And such a HUGE accomplishment in this day in age!!
It was interesting how u said death would be the only thing to separate u two...the sermon in church on sunday was about ruth and naomi and the story in the book of ruth....well, one of the quotes was something to the effect of..."Where u will go, I will go. Your god is my god. Where you lodge, I will lodge...the only thing to ever part us will be death, that I am certain."
Matt and I both looked at eachother and grinned, because a deal we made when we first got married was that divorce was NEVER an option and that the word divorce would never be used in our home. We always joked that the only way we would ever be "rid of each other" is for one of us to kick the bucket. Lol!!
This post is so inspiring. Did they share any tips/words of wisdom/etc for making it not only last that long, but be HAPPY and still IN LOVE 50 yrs later?
I'm gunna have matt read this. Like I said, just so inspiring.
Diane was NOT wearing orthopedic shoes, they were hip heels, and I'm pretty sure she makes certain Wes does not have nose and ear hair. She's cringing if she reads that :)
Tara-Yes! We have a joke around here too that we'd have to kill each other first...the 'D' word is NEVER an option here either.! :)
Actually, Diane gave me one piece of advice that has stuck with us *both* during my wedding shower..."If you must argue, then make sure to do it naked and in the bedroom." That phrase has come up many times during the last 3 and half years. ;)
Mom- Her heels were awesome!! I'm just hoping we'll be as hip as them when we're in our 70s. ;)
bahahhaaaa!!!!!
that's so freakin awesome. i LOVE it. i am pretty sure diane will become matt's new favorite person when i share that with him! lol!!
What a beautiful post! Love anni. Parties! It’s funny how you appreciate this once you get older. Every year on my parent’s anniversary I feel some sort of accomplishment myself. I hope our children appreciate our good marriages as much as we respect our parents :) p.s. LOVE the green dress, you look AMAZING!!!
Absolutley beautiful Jess.
My grandparents celebrated their 50th a few years ago. Very inspiring.
Divorce is definitely not something we would consider in this house either.
I think ithere are so many people that are willing to just give up when times get tough but working through those challenges only makes you that much stronger.
We are living proof of that. ; )
Congratulations to the happy couple.
Jessica,
Your description of our 50th Wedding Anniversary was just delightful. We do have good kids who were so thoughtful and generous to pull off this big celebration. We were thrilled to have you and William join us in our special time of rejoicing. You two are very dear to us. It is such a joy to watch you "raise up a child in 'the way' that he should go"
I love it that our families are so intertwined! Thanks for being there to help us "Party" We have had a glorious 50 years of marriage.
Post a Comment