Tuesday, December 21

Our 1st Celebration

The night before Ezra's birthday while giving him his bath, W and I reminisced over the fact at that very moment last year, Meggs and Linds had come over with some yummy supper and to play a few rounds of Scrabble. I was getting to the point in labor where I had to lay down during contractions so I didn't play, but there was something soothing about having them there, taking care of us when things were just starting to get uncomfortable.

And W called me while at work about ten 'til 9:53 on E's birthday and we talked on the phone that morning. He started with "And this is when Ezra started to crown. He did that for about 10 minutes." What?! I didn't know he crowned that long! So we spent the next fifteen minutes remembering that morning and becoming parents.

Friday was very rainy and chilly, so we just played inside for most of his special day. He managed to wear his "Birthday Boy" shirt all day without getting it messy. Although he was drooling up a storm and it was completely wet.

Friday night, we celebrated being a family for a WHOLE year with close ones. We wanted to keep it super simple, small, and relaxed.

Grandma showed up about an hour before the festivities to watch Ezra while I prepped. I baked cupcakes, made frosting, and laid out the spread. I found a few framed pictures from other parts of the house and placed them along with the food. I put the napkins on top of my cute cake stand and forks in a mason jar that I put a piece of fabric around. Super easy. And I didn't take one picture of it. :(

The best part of the evening was singing "Happy Birthday" and watching at Ezra devour his cupcake. He was unsure about all the singing and paparazzi pictures, but very certain about the cupcake!


My old little boy!!

 He got it everywhere, including his hair.

He's ONE!

He opened a few gifts from those who didn't follow the invite rules. ;)
 He got trucks, a puzzle, and an awesome towel pancho. W was super excited by the old school Tonka truck. I think he's already making future plans with him and E for that one.

In W's words: it was delightful! A great moment to celebrate our year as a family!

{Special Thanks to Mom and Linds for recording this special event so I could put my focus elsewhere!}

5 comments:

Stef said...

love it! We do this every year, on each child's birthday. So fun to remember "the day" and actually get to tell them about it when they're older! Although I know it annoyed Jason when he had to hear his birth story 500 times, so I did promise Ethan, right there on that hospital bed, that I wouldn't tell him his story 500 times.... maybe just 499 :)

Tara said...

there was a no gift rule for a 1st birthday?! blasphemy! ;)

looks like a perfectly perfect little celebration! happy birthday, e! :)

Kate said...

Congrats! Looks like it was a wonderful, love-filled day. The best kind. :)

Tiffany said...

Awwww! He's got the best messy face pics! I thought you were gonna tell the whole labor story for a sec! I LOVE all the gory details, LOL! Such a special day!

W and J said...

Tiff- if you want gore, check archives jan 2010. i did a post about our birth story there. :)