Tuesday, October 19

Quest Fall Retreat

Our church's college/young adult group, Quest, hosted a retreat two weekends ago. We joined them for the fun and rejuvenating time in the foothills. Our small group book club has taken a summer break and we miss all the 'kids'. {I've mentioned our Narnian Group last year and this year--we were very excited to be starting back up this week at our pad.} We were part of the first group to drive up Friday morning to the Pine's Ranch. The last time we visited was a little over a year ago for a leadership retreat. 

During this past year, I've helped prepare and plan various events for Quest, mostly from the comforts of home while watching Ezra. We hope to continue helping out. Both of us love meeting with the students, mostly one-on-one {or two-on-one with E}, to help support/talk/listen about whatever is going on. We have really loved getting to know a lot of people in the ministry. 

On the way up to the Pines, we made a lunch stop at a mall. Apparently, this is the closest Chick-Fil-A and these guys we went with are in love. I was told CFA is the In'N'Out of chicken fast food. Ok, sure. Oh, and their huge variety of sauces is what puts guys over. Maybe it's a guy thing?
The lovely Moogs. J being one of the CFA headmen. But what really sold me on this mall was their family area...
This place was equipped with everything: breastfeeding stalls with comfy chairs, sunken changing stations right next to sink and soap, TV, and a microwave! Natalie and I probably hung out in here longer than we should have with a bunch of guys waiting for us. This mall clearly encourages spending all kinds of time here!!

We made it to the Pine's Ranch without a problem, thanks to W's truck. The last 1/2 mile is a unpaved/sandy steep road. After getting our room set-up and Ezra down for a nap, we helped out. There were about a dozen international students from Hayward who joined us on the retreat. I got the privilege to greet them upon arrival.

Matthew and I heading up the welcome/check-in table.
Bearded Boys
The house where we stayed in {view from the lodge}

Matt Pine {who's parents own this ranch and make it available for church activities and weddings} went hunting earlier that day. We got to taste some delicious duck right off the grill.
The weekend was great. There was tons of hang out time and our monitor worked far enough to the lodge so we could both join during Ezra's naptimes. Natalie & I killed at shuffle board. There were also ping-pong tournaments...
which Ezra and I just watched with our new friend, Brynn.
{yes, that is a bottle we got from the hospital. with sippy cups dirty and limited time for packing, this is what ya get.}

While a friend watched Ezra, W and I went to the shooting range. My first time shooting a gun. Can you tell this was really a man's man weekend? I so wished I charged my battery because it died after taking a picture of Gayle getting instructions from Mr. Cline. So I have NO proof! :(
I shot a rifle while sitting at a picnic table {beginners stance}. Not going to lie, I was terrified after the first person shot. I could feel the shot vibrate in my stomach. And got those hot chills. Do you know that feeling? Like something bad is going to happen. Well, nothing did, but it was still scary. W is right, with having a gun "comes a great and heavy responsibility." It's a bummer that there's objects out in the world that can kill a person in a few minutes. But then again, so can natural things like poisonous plants and aggressive animals. Reminds me that we live in a fallen world. And makes me long for the time when it will be made right.

After my first shot {which I screamed like a girl during}, I got the hang of it. I started to relax and focus on hitting the water bottle targets. Almost got 'em. I've already promised W that we'll head to the local shooting range soon.

That evening we continued looking at scripture compared to our lives: do we live by circumstances or by His promises? The theme was "living above the sun"...in that we keep our hearts set on things above, not on the things of this world. One area of conviction was that of obedience. W & I use to read the bible nightly before bed. Now we either crash and burn or waste time on distractions then leave little time for our reading. Don't think I've been this deprived of daily Bread nourishment in a long time. And in a time where I need it the most: parenting!! In the same way, our speaker mentioned checking in with what we've been praying for. Are we walking in line with what God's says about those things? That struck a cord. I've been praying recently for wisdom and direction over a few areas, but haven't really gotten anywhere. Some definite direction that I need to re-evaluate my heart and actions in some of those areas.

Besides great principles for thought, we enjoyed a beautiful sunset.
Meal time!
Amazing dessert time...and bedtime!!! We {the old farts that we are} did not make it past 11pm and consequently, missed the outdoor movie. 
While cleaning and packing up on Sunday, the girls played. I think Autumn must have persuaded Ezra with her new walking skills. He just had to try it this week!
Good times all around. 

2 comments:

Stef said...

that looks like SO much fun! I love the breastfeeding stalls. Why don't more places have those? I think Macy's or Nordstroms does, can't remember.
I love how you said you screamed like a girl when you took your first shot - that's SO going to be me. Jason and I are planning to go with some friends in a couple weeks.

Miss you guys!

Tara said...

lol @ ur first shooting experience. mine was very similar. those things carry so much force and power! i love going to the gun range though, its such a fun date night activity! there's a great one we go to in castro valley, i think. u guys would love it.

they have those cumfy bfing stalls in nordies. complete with fridges and bottle warmers and microwaves and everything, too!! it was so convenient when i was nursing brady!