One of my favorite things is when new stores come into town. Especially the downtown area near our home. Not only is it a sign of hope for this dreadful economy, but it's almost always a promise for something fun. And since we walk downtown quite often, the transformation from empty store front to opened doors with fresh paint and crisp new decor is that much more enjoyable. It's like the anticipation and wonder adds the delight of something new.
So when we saw two ladies talking outside this empty unit on the corner of our street, we got really excited. The unit use to be a complete dive with the remains of an old eatery and stored dirty lawn mowers for the business a few units down. It's very small. And had been empty for the three years we strolled pass it. Until this summer. The building was remodeled. A new lawn and flowers were planted. And a really cute bakery shop called Aunti Gluten's Bakery moved in.
So when the doors were opened, we stopped in on our way home from a Saturday's farmer's market. Pink & black decor covered the space perfectly. We met the two ladies: a mother & daughter team. We learned more about our new neighbors. The daughter went to culinary school and still works full-time as a flight attendant. They sell both whole and retail. We didn't buy anything then but enjoyed their company and got some yummy samples of their goodies.
Yesterday, I stopped by again and actually purchased a case of cupcakes for some dessert last night. I popped in with Ezra and my wallet. I ordered a toffee, coconut, and two red velvet cupcakes. Come to find out they still aren't set up for card payment, but take cash and checks. The mom insisted that I take the container and come back later to pay her. Seriously? She said she misses that "neighborhood closeness" from old and said she'd like to see Ezra again. Sure. After E's afternoon nap, we were back again with check in hand. We chatted a bit longer before we left for home.
I'm no "specialty" type girl...I like all the fat, all the sugar, and all the diary. Perhaps it's bad to have the "go-big-or-go-home" mentality for sweets, but I want to enjoy them! And I'm thankful for a body that can process all those ingredients without painful consequences. So I wasn't sure if I would like not having all the wheat either. But they were fabulous. The cupcake itself was a bit dense and hardier but it didn't leave me with that super sugary hollow feeling. And the frosting! Oh, the frosting! To die for! W loved them too. Needless to say, it could potential pose a problem to now have a sweet little bakery on the corner of our street...
5 comments:
They Look AMAZING! How nice to have met a trusting, "small town," woman. She, and her store, sound wonderful!
haha! we did the same thing when they opened! arent they the NICEST people EVER? the lady sat and played with brady (she let him behind the counter to explore and everything) and gave him a free mini. they were the sweetest.
im SO glad you liked them! i wish we did. :(
we were so disappointed. "hate" would be a strong word, but we didnt think they were good at all. we actually each only took two bites and couldnt bare to finish.
they lacked so much moistness and flavor to us, two things i think are most important in a cake. matt described them as tasting "dry" and "like cardboard". he said he would rather eat a fiber muffin. lol.
i still think we will go back just to visit with the sweet owners though!!
Ah, that's too bad! Go figure! But I *love* me some bran muffins so maybe that's why I enjoyed these!!
I found a cupcake/coffee/tea place in our Downtown and I'm wishing I hadn't. They're so freaking yummy! I crave those things at 3am and all the time, its insane.
The red velvet and the lavender one at ours are the flavors I go nuts over :)
hahahaa! yeah, that probably does have something to do with it! bran muffins are a very similar denseness and texture for sure!
if you are ever in livermore, they opened a SUPERB cupcake place near downtown. ill have to get the name of it for you. they are HUGE cupcakes and they are SUPER moist, FULL of flavor and just the most amazing cupcake ever! now if they were on stanley, then i would be in BIG trouble! lol! i would surely gain 100 pounds this pregnancy! ;)
Post a Comment