Monday, August 9

Pacific Grove & Monterey Getaway

W's last Saturday class was kayaking in Monterey. So we stayed the night in Pacific Grove on Friday. Saturday morning, E & I walked part of the 17 mile drive along the beach.
Stilled bundled up but this time the fog/overcast skies never burned off.
We also walked around downtown Pacific Grove and along the little residential streets. The little houses were so adorable and quaint. 
A peek into someone's side yard
After kayaking along side of otters, seals, and other wildlife, W joined us. We headed to a lighthouse along the coast that I saw earlier that morning.
This lighthouse is the oldest continuously operating lighthouse in the West Coast. And we were lucky enough to have the docent, Vera, tell us about her experience living here with her husband.
Vera told us how she had her first born during the five years they lived here. Could you imagine having to walk up these stairs while pregnant or carrying a little one? Sheesh!
Upstairs. Love the look!
In the basement, there was more information about lighthouses and the history behind them.
On our way home we stopped at Dennis the Menace Park . We'd seen it many times before but felt inspired to check it out.  It was a bit too chaotic for our taste. Perhaps we happened to go on a really crazy day. Seemed like there were as many people as ants on an ant hill. And at about that same intensity and franticness.
We stuck around long enough to check the whole place out. I would love to come back and do the paddle boats on the pond on a less busy day. Our exhaustion from the week was also pretty heavy so we both looked forward to the drive home. And boy, what 4 months can do! Doing this drive again has really reminded us just how much better Ezra is in the car!! It sure made our getaway so much better and stress-less.

5 comments:

Tara said...

you should go back in the fall and see the monarchs!! breathtaking! and i bet ezra would love it too! he's at the age now where im sure he is totally aware of his surroundings and would probably be in awe of all the butterflies. :)

Stef said...

I am doing my best NOT to be jealous, but I am!! You went to one of my all time favorite places on earth (and yes, I'm pretty sheltered when it comes to traveling).
We love Monterey and Pacific Grove!
We'll be there next month for Jenny's wedding and cannot wait!

W and J said...

T- we definitely plan on it! we went last October but only saw A butterfly...I overheard people saying
it was too warm or something. Total bust. Hopefully this fall will be better & chiller! :)

Stef- so fun!! Will you guys be in town too at all?!? we definitely love this area & keep coming back. although I think we're gonna explore more north now after our recent camping trip...so beautiful!!

Tara said...

how weird!! we went the first wknd november and they were SWARMING. like ev-er-y-where. were u at the right spot?

W and J said...

I think so...it was a boardwalk thingy among the trees. It was near Santa Cruz and at a state beach of which name I'm forgetting. There was a little visitor center & a garden with caterpillars too. I vaguely recognized it from when I was a kid...so it was at least the place where my parents took me. I do remember there being loads and loads of butterflies then...