Perhaps we really are crazy! But we survived a quick camping trip while the Jenkins were here. So that made: four adults, two infants, and two dogs all sharing a camp site around Lake Chabot. W & I have camped here several times when there was just two of us, definitely a different experience this time.
We had to pack a ton of stuff.
Tim & I had a tent skills war.
{And I won!}
Our friend, Mel, came to visit for a few hours & held E so I could beat down Tim, unencumbered.
E also tried out his new ride. Loved it.
He also really loved crawling around in our tent.
The boys played together in our tarp hallway.
After this weekend, Tim officially dubbed our little E as the "open-mouth baby". I have no clue why.
We devoured some delicious steaks authentically "flame-broiled".
{This is what the men were doing while the woman-folk played with & took a ridiculous amount of pictures supervised the babes.}
Lots of stuff to unpack {and re-pack, load & put away at home later.} See those two sticks? I took the liberty of whittling them for roasting marshmallows. And that's the extend of my wilderness skills, besides beating Tim at tent making. ;)
So things were going super well. Until bedtime. Yeah, we all know what's coming next... We did our little routine and I tried to put Ezra down for the night. But he had different plans. It took him a much longer time than normal {insert about an hour} to finally go to sleep. Thankfully, it wasn't meltdown status. Definitely not the fun part of the trip, but we weren't surprised. It wasn't great but it could have been a lot worse. And he made it up to us by sleeping in. Nice kid, that one.
The next morning we hung out and ate breakfast before W had to go to his Saturday class up the road. One of his last classes this quarter is an outdoor class & they were orienteering {using a compass} in Oakland which was about a 25 mins. drive from our camp site.
So with W gone, I did what any other mountaineer Mama would do. Kirsten helped me strap in E so I could help with packing.
Her smile really says, "I'm so happy I don't have twins!" :)
Ready for work!
After loading everything up, we took a quick hike to Lake Chabot before picking up W from his class. Lucky guy totally missed all the packing! Sheesh!
And Ezra & Ethan solidified their growing friendship on our drive to W. Here they are going in for the grab.
BFFs forever. They shook on it and then held hands.
So, would I do camping again with an infant? Absolutely. It was really fun, besides the bedtime ordeal. Having another couple there was also extremely helpful because W & I could do things together as oppose to one having to stay at the campsite while the other went off if we were alone.
5 comments:
I'm totally missing my sweet baby boy (LOVED the Sturgis shirt)...when are you going to be a good daughter and bring him by?
love his shirt!!!
you are a brave woman to camp with a baby! glad it went well though!!
can you believe i have never been camping? well, legit camping. ive camped in a cabin, if that counts. lol. i know what you're thinking, but we cooked over a fire, did outdoorsy things, and were in the middle of nowhere! gotta count for something! lol!
Mom-- come on over! ;) Actually I think I need you tomorrow for tutoring-- W's got to go school early! And he looks fab in his new garb!
Tara-- never in a tent?! crazy, girl! But sounds like your cabin experience does count for something. How much? Not sure. ;)
i know, crazy, right? i just am not much of a "roughing it" or sleeping-on-the-ground-outside type of girl. lol. its a good thing matt is the same way or else im sure it would be a point of contention in our household!
looks like you and william are the perfect match. :) <3
Oh my gosh, he is getting so big! What a cutie!!
Isn't it insane how much you have to pack with a baby?!
Post a Comment