Monday, July 19

The Calzone Experiment

I'm not much of a baker. I know it's something I would enjoy but I haven't really gotten into it yet. During Christmas time, I love to bake but usually only get motivated by friends or family. So when I came across this really easy calzone recipe, I figured I couldn't mess it up too much. 

Spinach-Ricotta Calzones
makes 6

What You'll Need: 
1 pound frozen dough (TJ's has a great one, but I didn't have time this week so I just got some at Safeway. What would be ideal to me would be to make my own...a goal for another time!)
10 oz. frozen spinach
1 container (15oz) of ricotta cheese
1/4 t. minced garlic
1 t. dried basil leaves
2 eggs whites
1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 can (8oz) pizza sause
optional: 1 pound cooked ground beef

What you do:

Preheat oven to 375
Grease 2 cookie sheets
Then mix all ingredients (except dough & sauce) into a large bowl
Next divide dough into 6 equal parts**
Roll each into a 7-inch circle on lightly floured rolling pin
Top each half with mixture 
And carefully fold dough over filling
Pinch edge or press with fork to seal securely
Place calzones on cookie sheets
Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until golden brown
Cool for 5 minutes
While cooling, heat up sauce in pot & serve for dipping


**For the superb baker that I am, I used all 3 loaves of bread for my 6 calzones without realizing it. These puppies were HUGE as you can probably tell from the picture! I was stuffed after only eating half of mine. W was delightfully surprised that he was great after one. (normally he has a bottomless stomach) Next time, I will change that and put more seasoning in the mixture to add more kick. But this meal will definitely be in my rotation!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Looks yummy!

Stef said...

um... YUMMERS! Please send some our way. Okay, fine... i guess I'll make my own.