Come Monday morning... perhaps with any type of hangover, we had some clean-up to do. And with absolutely nothing in our fridge, I still needed to come up with something for dinner. So after two loads of laundry started, dishes swishing in the washer, a belly-full baby down for a nap...I pulled out my trusted crock-pot!
Here's a favorite of W's & a quick-prep meal {or appetizer}...but you have to like ONIONS! :)
French Onion Soup
(Recipes from my fabulous thrift store find: Betty Crocker Recipes Book)
3 large sliced onions
3 T of butter
3 T of flour
1 t sugar
1 t Worcestershire sause
1/4 t pepper
4 cans of beef broth
(I just used 7 beef bouillon cubes with 7 cups of water
since we only have chicken ready-to-serve broth)
1. Mix onions & butter in slow cooker. Cover & cook on high heat for 30-35 minutes or until onions begin to brown
2. Mix flour, Worcestershire sause, sugar & pepper. Stir flour mixture & broth into onions
3. Cover & cook on low setting 7-9 hrs. or on high for 3-4 hours.
It has such a great savory taste! I like to serve the soup with some cheesy broiled French Bread. I make it right before serving the meal.
Cheesy Broild French Bread
8 or so slices French bread
3/4 C shredded mozzarella cheese
2 T grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle with cheeses.
Place bread slices on rack in pan for about 3 minutes.
(Our oven is weird & burns really easily on broil setting, so I have to check every 30 seconds or so)
And now that my work is done for the day, I get to go play! Yay!
5 comments:
i will DEFINITELY have to try this! i LOVE me some french onion soup!!!!
and YAY for finally using your dishwasher!! lol!! :)
HAHA! I *totally* thought of you as I was loadin' 'er up! :) And the soup is so delish! I wasn't an onion soup fan until I met William! And I know this recipe is a keeper since he loves it--opinionated, that one! ;)
LOL!!!
Thanks! And thanks for the thank you card! I'm glad he / you liked his onesie :) Are you going to crochet some baby toys for Ez? do you know how to crochet? I can give you some great links if you want to learn!
And this soup looks amazing!
okay, your weekend sounds delightful. Especially the part about being in doors, with rain outside and LOST on the TV inside :)
We LOVE french onion soup, so thanks for the recipe! I'm going to make a crock pot of this for our next rainy day!
Post a Comment