Thursday, October 1

The Joy of Preparing

Here's our oh-so high tech/ uber cute design of our recent adventure: meal planning! I know, right?! You've never heard of this before...we are forging into new territory at home. So up until recently, I have been rebellious and teen-like in my attitude toward meal planning. That's probably a heart-check issue for another time! ;) A week ago, I saw the error of my ways. W showed me how his mom used to meal plan with said above chart & I'm loving it. We know with the addition of a little one coming, simplifying our life would be a huge asset.

So we review the upcoming 7 meals for the week and plan our grocery list accordingly. All on the same piece of paper! Asterisks mean I need to buy it that week. It's also encouraged me to try new recipes from the *cough* wedding-gifted cookbooks that have been gathering dust on our top shelf. I've given myself a goal of one new recipe a week. I tried a french fry recipe last night which was amazing! I've even been looking at (gasp!) coupons online! Who am I?!

Our life has become easier already. I look forward to cooking since the guess work has already been taken out of it & I already know I'm prepared with all of my supplies. And W & I are both helping in the kitchen more. Team effort! I'm finding it similar to teaching...I would never present a lesson without preparing beforehand! This life-theme could probably fall into all categories...I'm just focusing on feeding my family for now. ;) Who knows what I'll try to prepare for next!!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Way to go! Meal planning will make your life much better! And our big change - switching to a cash grocery system! It's sooo hard. But combined with coupons, I only spend 80 a week on groceries. And that includes toiletries & cleaners & stuff. You can do it!

Stef said...

I love this post and I love your honesty!
Meal planning is very hard and takes a lot of time and effort, but if I can give you one little bit of advice... get it down before you have kids! It will make your life that much easier :)

I use bustameal.com for my planning - seems to help me shave about 2 hours off my planning, because they make the shopping list for you and no matter what store you go to, every item will be categorized on the list, according to where you can find it in the store. Its not free, but right now they're doing a "name your own price" promotion, which is cool.

W and J said...

Thank you SO much for the encouraging words, Ladies!! :)

Tara said...

go you guys! when we started doing this, we actually saved quite a bit of money, cuz we only spend exactly what we are going to eat-no extras, no randoms. so, we end up throwing less away (which is awesome, i hate being wasteful) and not spending as much. works out well all the way around.