My mom recently shared these little tid-bits of knowledge about coupons as I've become much more enthusiastic about them. I thought they were great reminders and wanted to share them. Most of them are well-known, at least in my house growing up, but here they are anyway...
1) Generally a particular product will be put on promotion and may or may not be the best deal. The store brand/generic can be just as good and a better price than with the coupon
2) Check out all the grocery ads because something might be a better price at Safeway one week then a better price at Raley's the next. You could be like grandma & grandpa running around to different stores each week. Just remember to factor in travel costs.
3) When you do this for a few months, you'll get a feel for where the best deals are…..I sometimes walk the aisles at Raley's and look for their manager specials because it is a really good deal…if I like what it is and will use it.
4) You'll also learn that the prices dip in cycles so if you have the cash and the space (and then can remember you have it in stock) you can buy a bunch to get you to the next sale. Some products you just always use.
5) Costco doesn't always have the best prices….especially if something is on special at one of the grocery stores, deeply discounted.
6) The largest size is not always the best deal, be sure to check the "per unit price"
7) Make sure you are purchasing an item that you would want to buy anyway
(image from cheaptweet.com)
4 comments:
great tips! And may I suggest adding moneysavingmom.com to your computer. She is an excellent resource & inspiration for saving money with groceries. and she's a Christian!
Thank you for this post, Jess! I am terrible with coupons and so this was very helpful. I love that you added to remember that Costco does not always have the best prices. Jason and I stopped buying most of our food at Costco and we're saving over $100 bucks a month!
you may also want to check out the Krazy Koupon Lady's blog. she's amazing.
good morning america just did a taste test on generic vs name brand recently. and believe it or not, the people actually picked the name brand products as tasting better, in 8 out of the 10 foods. i want to do my own taste test one day and see what my results are. im all about flavor and quality, even if it means spending .25 more cents, or whatever it may be. BUT, im also all about saving a buck. ;)
I have become so obsessed with coupons!! It's one of my favorite Sunday rituals to cut coupons!!
Post a Comment