Thursday, July 3

When Things Don't Make Sense


Most of us really struggle with the question of why bad things happen. I found this post & loved it's poetic response. It was originally posted on The Purple Cellar Blog--if you have never been there...go. It's under favorites.

One of the hardest experiences in the Christian life is trusting that God is good when things seem to the contrary. We pray and pray about a difficulty or perplexing situation, and sometimes it seems that, as a direct result of our prayers, things only get worse. What is God doing at such times? This poem by John Newton, called These Inward Trials," explains a lot:

I ask'd the Lord, that I might grow
In faith, and love, and ev'ry grace,
Might more of his salvation know,
And seek more earnestly his face.

'Twas he who taught me thus to pray,
And he, I trust has answer'd pray'r;
But it has been in such a way,
As almost drove me to despair.

I hop'd that in some favour'd hour,
At once he'd answer my request:
And by his love's constraining pow'r,
Subdue my sins, and give me rest.

Instead of this. he made me feel
The hidden evils of my heart;
And let the angry pow'rs of hell
Assault my soul in ev'ry part.

Yea more, with his own hand he seem'd
Intent to aggravate my woe;
Cross'd all the fair designs I schem'd,
Blasted my gourds, and laid me low.

Lord, why is this, I trembling cry'd,
Wilt thou pursue thy worm to death?
"'Tis in this way," the Lord reply'd,
"I answer pray'r for grace and faith.

"These inward trials I employ,
From self and pride to set thee free;
And break thy schemes of earthly joy,
That thou mayst seek thy all in me."

1 comment:

Tara said...

love love love it. thank you for posting.