Thursday, June 13

Family Culture

I've been doing a book study with our MOPS this summer. The book is called Desperate; Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe. I was a little skeptical at first for several reasons, but it's turned out to be a great thought-provoking read. 

Currently, I feel like I'm wading my way through our own mucky waters of finding a new normal, experimenting with discipline methods now that we have two completely different boys to contend with, and still wanting to be intentional about our family's culture; so I wasn't sure if I was going to get anything out of the book study-- my brain is a bit tapped with other things to consider and pray over. Discombobulated is a great way to put it.

Well, lo and behold, there have been some gems within the book that directly relate to what we've been working through. One of which was intentionality of our family culture. We really want our children to think our home is the best place in the world. We want them to linger here, love Jesus deeply, and feel secure and openly talk about what's on their heart. It is a living and breathing home so there will be spats, challenges, exhaustion and messes. But hopefully, with grace and a soft heart. 

A few nights ago, W and I wrote down a few of the things we hope will create the culture we want as our family grows and gets older. Just some of the things we hope to impart to our littles and enjoy together. 

...a love for Jesus, His grace, and a Godly character; grown from daily reading of his Word and prayer, weekly church and small group involvement, parental training and teaching

...a love for the outdoors; grown through camping, hikes, future boy scouts

...a love of physical activity; grown through biking, walks, jogs, swimming, other future sports

...a love for the arts; grown through theater, musicals, concerts, live productions, museums, art projects

...a love for good books; grown through school, read-alouds, audio books, personal libraries

...a love for adventure/trying new things; grown through road trips, day outings, local events, family vacations

...a sense of duty and belonging; grown through service projects, household chores

...a love for silliness and fun; grown through wearing birthday hats, future game nights, family movie/pizza nights, picnics

...a love for homestead/natural living; grown through future chicken raising, gardening and composting, understanding natural remedies and benefits, learning to research and make decision that may be contrary to popular beliefs/practices

...a love for Swenson family traditions; grown through establishing seasonal traditions specific to our family

Some examples:
-big breakfasts
-fires on cold evenings
-thankful tree
-Gparent day
-advent calendar and wreath
-pumpkin picking and carving
-summer fair and funnel cake 
-church summer camping trip
-Scottish games on Labor Day weekend
-family dinners at Castlewood
-trips to Orange County to see family; Thanksgiving and May
-picking dinner and dessert on birthday

A lot of the things listed are just who we are and what we enjoy. They don't take much effort and seem like no-brainers. Others, we want to be intentional about making happen. Or at least, set up our home environment to encourage them.

Our children have different personalities and preferences, but we hope as a general whole they will learn to love the things we do as a family. I'm a perfect example of that: my parents love sports and I totally do not except for the social aspect. Family culture fail. ;) But I do know about each sport and understand enough to hold an intelligent conversation!! One major success that I love about my family growing up was that we were always together. I loved that we spent so much time together. I was an only child---my parents could have easily left me with family or a babysitter and go off on their own. But they intentionally took me with them. And I noticed. And now, its one of the biggest things I love about W and our family. Being together. 

It will be music to my ears when I hear my littles say, "Oh yeah, when we were growing up, my family always did..." Whether they chose to continue that into their own families is up to them, we just hope to provide an anchor for our wee ones. And I pray they notice too.

What kind of family culture are you creating??

3 comments:

Megan said...

I love this! This has totally inspired me to sit down with Matthew and think about what we want our family culture to look like in the future!!

Gabby and Jason said...

What a great idea & great list! Food for thought on developing the type of family we want.

. said...

great list!! i think often about this kind of stuff and try to instill tradition and things like this that ultimately create a really well rounded person. raising kids is so much pressure! ;)