Thursday, August 8

Bumpass Hell

Before heading home, we wanted to squeeze in one more stop in the area. I'm starting to think we're becoming park junkies-- or at the very least that we need to add "visit all national parks" on our bucket list. Haven't decided which just yet. After a stop at the podunk yet adorable town of Chester for some coffee and shops, we made our way to yet another park.

Lassen Volcanic National Park neighbors Lake Almanor so of course we had to go. We had limited time and a long drive ahead so I'm thankful for technology {i.e. yelp} to provide the best spot for our short allotment. And it did not disappoint.
After reading reviews while driving up, we decided to stop at Bumpass Hell-- basically a bunch bubbling and steaming hot springs--remnants of former volcanic activity. We could tell that this was the park's main attraction with boiling pools of 322 degree temperatures and terms like "hydrothermal system" and "fumaroles" being tossed around. It required a 3 mile round trip hike which was welcomed before a long drive of sitting. We were game.

The hike was beautiful and easy so we did it in typically tourist fashion.
They have boardwalks set up to walk around the sights since the ground is really HOT and brittle. 
It was a really cool. It smelled awful {sulfur}, made lots of noise and had all sorts of different things to look at. I'm sure it's like some kind of heaven for geology nerds.

After the hike back to our car, we hit the road for home and made great time. We picked up the boys. Then fed, bathed, and put them all to bed. W and I enjoyed some sushi and a movie to unwind before the week ahead.

I'm happy to report that the following day was amazing. I thought for sure the boys would go through major detox. But they were pleasantly normal and that made for a very happy Mama. I was able to be super productive in getting us back into the swing of things and we even sneaked a bike/walk trip to the library. Major props to the gparents. They sure are pros. :) And great weekend for all!

2 comments:

Tara said...

best.grandparents.ever.

ours haven't babysat since hawaii. :(

we found an awesome sitter, but at 15 bucks an hour, a simple dinner and a movie date night sure adds up! :(

ill go cry a river now. lol.

Megan said...

I can't get over how cute you are, and how adorable those headbands look on you! Love it. And I love the memories you two are making!