Tuesday, May 28

Tour De Cluck

When I discovered Davis's Tour De Cluck, I signed us up immediately. It sounded like the perfect mix for us: bikes + chicken coops. We're weird, I know. 

So, what is it exactly?!

It's a fundraiser for Yolo Farm to Fork, an organization that educates the public about the value of the farm-to-fork community food system. Basically, you bike through Davis, visiting backyards and checking out chicken coops. You're given a map and go at your own pace. This year's loop was about 10 miles with 17 houses participating. They call it the Bicycle Chicken Coop Crawl.


Somehow, W ended up with all three kids between the wrap and trailer. And I still lagged behind at times! We got to 9 of coops during our full day biking. Some stops were a quick pop in to see the place while others we chatted it up with the owners. Information was posted on each coop about the back-story, material cost, and a bit on the birds. 

Highlights from our adventure...

The first stop we made had an unbelievably huge backyard; including a vegetable garden, trampoline, tree swing, hammock, a compost and two separate coops. We quickly learned that this list of backyard items {minus the trampoline} is standard fare for Davis. 

The amazing green belt we biked through while on route. Several sculptures, benches, playgrounds, ponds, and a preserved wetland area. We ate our lunch under the shade of a tree along the path. 

4-H at Davis High. The coop was huge and they had other animals the boys could pet. The pig was the biggest hit. 

Banyan's End Coop. Simply ah-mazing backyard. It was huge, clean, decorated and the vegetable garden extensive. The coop looked good and you could just tell they planned well. I mean, the coop's door was painted yellow! Swoon-worthy, for sure. What I wouldn't give for their quarter acre of land!

Ezra loved getting to play some ping-pong at one stop. The family was so sweet and pulled out some toys of the boys. Ezra invited the older little boy over for a play date. ;)

Feeling sore on the drive home after a great bike ride and stopping at In-n-Out for supper. We were all happily exhausted and all kiddos went to bed early! 


....

I know I've stated countless times how we'd love to own some chickens eventually. This event was a fabulous way to ask questions and see a variety of chicken breeds and coop designs first hand. Certainly made us all the more eager to have one of our own!

2 comments:

Megan said...

How awesome! We've been wanting to do our own coop for awhile as well!

Tara said...

I should take you to my dads sometime. They have a coupe in the backyard with 6 chickens. It's so much fun for the boys, and the free eggs don't hurt. ;) the chickens produce more than what my dad and step mom can keep up with, so we always go home with a dozen or two. :)