Tuesday, May 17

Switching Gears

For the past several months, I've been on a crafty kick. Well, that's finally slowing down some. I blame it on the fact that the new Joann's is still not open yet {the 20th}. But this also happens to be typical J style. I'll go in full-out burst then fizzle out and lay it aside with the hopes of picking it up again some time later. Probably explains why I start things so early-- I know I need some time when I don't do anything with it. 

All that to say, my current focus is back to the books. After lingering in Simplemom's recommended reading list, my amazon cart was quite full of some great books. I couldn't want to start!


Currently reading: Simplicity Parenting
Wow! This book is utterly amazing. It completely spells out W and I's parenting philosophy wonderfully. We've always understood that we do things a bit differently and are a bit hippy, but I've had a hard time fully laying out our intentions for doing the things we do or want to do. This author beautifully articulates what I've been hoping to rely to others. 

The basic premise is that our culture {and therefore our children} suffers from too much: too much stuff, too many choices, too much information, and too fast. Payne peels back each of these to reveal the joy of living simply so that children can actually embrace their childhood. "A protected childhood allows for the slow development of identity, well-being, and resiliency." {p12} It's been hard to put this puppy down and not read every paragraph out loud to W when he's home.

In the stack, waiting to be read...


I've already leafed through this one a bit and am excited to try some out with E. It basically takes the approach that at this age, it's all about discovery. Not a final project. So the ideas in here are meant to spur exploration through an art process. You probably won't get a cute little piece to hang up on the fridge, but they'll be tactile-learning about the world around them!


Theology 101 for little ones. Sharing ways of living out and teaching little ones God's truth.When the author's girls were just toddlers, he tried to creatively teach them the same things he was teaching his seminary students. Looking forward to reading this gem!


Super new-aging-ness aside, this book follows the Waldorf/Montessori idea that parents are their children's first teachers. What I was most interested in was the ideas about creating play spaces for indoor and outdoor areas with variety of natural toys, incorporating kids into daily chores and rhythms, and it's very do-it-yourself approach.

It's been awhile since I've read anything 'instructional' and not just for entertainment. I'm really looking forward to some learning and seeing where I can implement these goodies in our day-to-day routines!

8 comments:

Erin Stewart said...

I am very interested in a few of these... I am also looking for recommendations on what you might have read the first time around? Anything you would suggest as a "must" read for a first time Mom?

W and J said...

Erin- i would totally recommend the simplicity one... if nothing else than for helping you get perspective about why slowing your life down when your little one comes is a GOOD thing. We are so use to our speed of life that it can be quite a shock to change the pace & not feel guilty that you're not 'doing enough'. I would have loved to have read this one BEFORE E came!!

Erin Stewart said...

Thank you! I just ordered it! I also got belly laughs for my vacation read next month  My friend said it was cute and light hearted… THANK YOU!!!

Edie said...

I'm still buying him a Cozy Car....and some Veggie Tale videos. There must be points for playing in the sudsy water while cleaning the garage :)

W and J said...

Haha, Mom!! I'm all for it! I want a cozy car!! And we love veggie tales! Just none of those gross/weird cartoons you're finding on tv-- those things are scary!!

Tara said...

Big truths was recommended by the sunday school teacher at church and we got it just about a week ago! I have only thumbed thru it but am excited to read it! Brady is at the age where he is kind of grasping prayer and we are slowly able to teach him certain concepts. The other day he came back from sunday school and said "jesus, mama!" And he pointed to his heart. So sweet. We should compare notes on what we think, since it looks like we'll be reading it at the same time!

Stefany said...

After talking today, I am anxious to read Simplicity Parenting. Sounds like a wonderful book.

Love the Art book, just might have to pick that one up for myself.
Arts and crafts are highly requested activities at the Doukas residence.

Heaven on Earth sounds intriguing to me as well. I whole heartedly agree that parents are the first teacher, which is why it's been so important to me to be home with them while they are young.

Stef said...

Loved Simplemom's recommendations! I wrote the list down the other day and plan to buy each one :)
The simplicity one reminded me of Jason and my parenting style too. I never knew we had a "style" but low and behold, I think we all do :)
For the reasons you listed, Jess, we will NOT be sticking our kids in sports until they're much older and actually have the interest and can actually pick on their own, what they'd like to play. And, when they enter into a sport, it will be one - not 10 all at the same time :)