I came home yesterday afternoon to a very kind e-mail in our inbox from a complete stranger. W has been known to stop and help strangers on the road often. Normally I don't hear much about them, especially the night stops because sometimes I worry. Two weeks ago, W told me he helped a young lady who had run out of gas on his way to work. Her cell phone was dead so W let her use his to call her mom. Her mom showed up on a motorcycle. Neither she nor her daughter has any money...slightly under-prepared. So W drove them to a gas station, bought them a gas can & filled it up for them. The mom gave W her business card so he could e-mail her his mailing address.
Here's what he wrote:
My name is William. Thursday evening, August 24th I unexpectedly met your daughter while she was stranded on the side of the 580 freeway. My apologies for not emailing sooner as I left your card in my pickup and haven't driven it since last Thursday. I hope everything worked out for the both of you after our brief meeting.
As we were parting you mentioned karma. I can't say whether or not karma exists but I do believe in Jesus, and he told his followers to help folks in need, so that is why I stopped on Thursday night. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to help and wished I had a few extra minutes to help further. I did get to work on time and it all worked out just fine.
I look forward to hearing from you and I hope that it's good news and your daughter keeps at least a half a tank "just in case" so she's not left stranded again. I try to keep at least that much in our cars so my wife and son never have to have that kind of experience.
Grace and peace,
William Swenson
And this was the reply in our inbox:
Thx you again for stopping to help my daughter, not many people would. We had purchased $46.55 worth of gas earlier in the day. As far as I knew my card was charged, but we were baffled as to why the gas gauge read empty. We figured that there was a problem w/ the gauge and would have it looked at when we got home (Tuolumne, Sonora area). She was following me, 1 minute she was there and the next minute she was gone. In-retrospect, I should have been following her. That way I would have known right away that she'd run out of gas. You can trust me when I say "that won't happen again". Unfortunately she has a high tank reserve, other wise she'd have run out sooner. I should have pulled over sooner and called home, but for reasons unknown to me I didn't . Thankfully you were the one that stopped to help. Unfortunately there are not more people in the world like you that would help a stranger. I have put a check in the mail to cover the cost of the gas and can. I have rounded it up to $25.
Thxs Again P.S. I do believe in Karma, and it's not something you want to mess w/. The powers of the Universe are always working. And can be a strange and wonderful thing, but you must work w/ them.
June
It was really sweet. And I'm so proud of my hubby for just helping people in need out, and not being afraid to share his faith as well. No big fireworks show or out-of-place mantras. Just a handsome sweet cowboy with a huge heart and lots of integrity. I often have to pinch myself when I think I got this wonderful man...in the OC?!? Crazy!
Ok, I'm done bragging! ;)
3 comments:
this makes my heart happy. very, very happy.
like tiff and i were talking about on her blog (with buying the mom's kids a few christmas presents; giving the other mom money for groceries...) it is *so* refreshing to see that good/giving people still exist. and its *SUCH* an important thing to show/teach our children.
...even aside from the religious aspect...regardless of beliefs...you help those in need, you treat others how you would like to be treated, you are generous and giving and a good person to others. its just the right thing to do.
go william!!!!!!!!
What a great story and perfect way to start the day!!! I am actually surprised he heard back from them honestly. People forget about the little things these days… Way to go to your hubby, I always wonder if there are still people like that out there. Being from Minnesota, people always make fun of me but I am not kidding you, it is a common way of life there. I have tried for 9 years to get Steve to move to MN… I am not kidding you people are so old fashioned there. We need more stories like this in our life. I also agree that we are lucky to have found Cali boys who still “get it”. Hey, what are you up to this afternoon? W off today (if so no worries)? Are your guests already in town? Let me know! Maybe we can do a park date I am off at 2 and heading your way :)
Keep on bragging! Nothin' wrong with being proud of your hubby! I love this story! I love what he did! I love that I know people as kind as the two of you!
and I agree with Tara....you help those in need!:)
Post a Comment