Sunday, September 26

Feelin' Like Fall

So although it's been getting hotter here weather-wise, I couldn't help but get into the fall mode already. It's my favorite of favorite times of year. Having more time at home instead of in a classroom, I've been able to harness my skills for decorations, cooking, etc. I bought some twig pumpkins from the Target $1 section and already put them up on our mantle. And I may or may not already have halloween pumpkin  cuteness at our front door.

A few days ago, we had some awesome company over & I decided to try out a new recipe. I'm sure there's an etiquette rule somewhere about not experimenting on guests, but guests give me more motivation to not only clean up the house, but try out new things! Here's a simple recipe to get into the fall spirit! 


Pumpkin Soup

What you need:
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 t of salt
1/2 t of pepper
1/2 t of cheyenne pepper
2 cans (29 oz each) 100% pumpkin puree
4 c of chicken broth
3/4 c of apple cider
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
sour cream (optional garnish)
pumpkin seeds for garnish {i used mixed nuts because i couldn't find any}
6-8 slices of bacon {optional, i put it in the soup but it can also serve as just a garnish with only 3 slices}

What you do:
Cook bacon with oil in pan over medium heat then set aside
Cook onion in same pan until translucent
Then add both peppers and salt
Put onions in crock-pot
Add puree, broth, and cider
Stir until smooth
Cook on low for 5 hours
Turn crock-pot off
Whisk in heavy whipping cream
Serve in bowls, topped with sour cream, nuts {& crumbled bacon}


It was a hit! The pumpkin flavor wasn't overly powerful. I served it with sliced olive bread. E really liked it too...although his was served before adding the cream & with the bacon removed. In fact, he'll probably have it again for lunch. :)

3 comments:

Tara said...

im totally trying this!!!!!!!

ur so brave to experiment on company! im always SO scared to cook for company. i would be devastated if people walked away hating my food or talked about how they should stop and get a burger on the way home cuz they were still hungry cuz my meal sucked. lol. im such a worry wart!

brady was around 6-8 months last fall and i was still making his baby food, and he loved pumpkin, too! i used to puree it with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg...mmmm!!! sometimes i also mixed it with apple puree. he was a big pumpkin fan, which made me happy. :)

speaking of apples and fall, u guys should make another trip out to apple hill this year and u can get enough apples to make him a huge supply of applesauce! i was able to make brady so much, i STILL have applesauce in my freezer from last year! im wondering if its still good?! eeek.

Erin Stewart said...

The soup was delicious! I cant wait to make it. You are going to laugh but your soup inspired me to cook and bake all weekend for the first time in years (maybe ever) I am not kidding, we have just been at home all weekend (only left to go for a walk and the grocery store). We have been watching movies & football all weekend. So fun and totally needed with the crazy travel weeks ahead for the hubby. So Steve totally had to get a few of our wedding gifts out of boxes so I could use them for the first time. Thanks for the inspiration. You can try your amazing creations on us any time!!!

Michelle Weiss said...

That sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing :)