One of the many awesome shower gifts we received a few weeks ago was a great starter kit for our chosen cloth diapering system (and there are many to chose from!). After doing my first load of baby laundry, I figured the next most logical thing was to learn how to use these things! So, here's what I learned from internet tutorials (what would we do without the internet, I mean, really?!)
Supplies Needed:

1. A Prefold (basically the cloth part of the system)
2. A Diaper Cover (we decided on Thirsties brand after much research)
3. A Snappi (this is the modern pin to keep the cloth on the baby's bum)
4. A victim (in this case, another fabulous shower gift...later, our little Swenson)
Step 1:
I found there are many ways to fold the prefold depending on what you like and what works for your baby's bum. I did the "angel wings" fold because it seemed like the easiest. First, fold the prefold into thirds length-wise, then open the back end as seen here...

Step 2:
Stick victim onto the prefold and fold the front part up (like a disposable). I folded it a bit under for an infant's cord.

Step 3:
Wrap the back wings around to the front & secure with a snappi.

Step 4:
Put diaper cover over cloth prefold. The cover acts just like a disposable with velcro closures & all. There's just the huge bonus of getting to use it over and over and over again! :)

And there you have it!! A very happy and dry victim to cuddle & love! :)

7 comments:
awesome job! that monkey won't have ANY blow-outs!
Check out this link for good detergents for cloth diapers!!
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm
Oh look, like father like monkey! This 'lil guy has an earring just where I have one!
(Good job, beautiful!)
Thanks, Flo! What a fantastic website. I was still researching about detergents, so this was perfect! :)
So informative! Matt doesn't know it, but I've thought about cloth diapering too!
haha! awesome! feel free to come practice on a real baby anytime! ;)
Looks like they've really perfected the cloth diapering system! When my brother and sister wore them, lets just say they were terribly annoying. I would always freak out about the possibility of sticking them with the pin, or putting the diaper on slightly crooked and having their bathroom mess everywhere. Yours look like they take care of both those problems! Yay!! Happy diapering :)
Stef- It truly is amazing how many options there are now! This one is just the basic-- therefore the less intimidating & cheaper one.
Meg- It's so do-able, I am amazed. Once the mystery of it was taken away after my research, I was a lot less intimidated & felt a lot more confident that I can figure it out without spending lots of $$ to find the best way. The benefits far out way the costs, that it was worth looking into. We'll see about the clean-up process next! ;)
Post a Comment